Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Happy Birthday Taff


Happy Birthday Taff!
Tonight we had a quiet birthday dinner at home to celebrate, with some of Taff's favourite foods. I decided I wanted to cook a three course meal and go to a bit of effort as we usually just go out for dinner. This was a nice change!
 
After consulation with some foodie colleagues and Google, I decided to make Bruschetta with a tomato and basil topping as a starter. I expected this to go down like a tonne of bricks with our two littlies, but to my amazement, they loved it.
For the main course I cooked something I have never cooked before...steak. I am really not confident with cooking steak but Taff always orders it when we go out so I really wanted to give it a go. I chose some eye fillet and after a few minor hiccups, I got there in the end. Note to self, the line between 'rare' and 'well done' is a fine one!
We enjoyed it with some roasted wedges (thanks for the tip Sarah!) with aioli and a nice salad. My bearnaise sauce was neither here nor there, next time I think I will leave it. :-)
Taff's favourite dessert is pavlova so we plonked a little candle into his mini pavlova and sung Happy Birthday. Rose and Harry decided to dress up for the occasion. Harry (of course) chose Spiderman and Rose went all out and chose this shiny purple top and a pink and white polka dot skirt. There was also plastic heels and fake jewellery. Clearly I haven't taught the 'less is more' lesson well enough yet! lol. They were actually very cute and rushed around all afternoon cleaning the house and getting ready. It has been a great evening and it was wonderful to spend it together as a family.

No comments: